The biggest appeal of lotto, or lottery, is that you can win a huge amount of jackpot, in the millions, by making a relatively small wager compared to other gambling games. Although the lotto/lottery is a game of chance, and you have a 50/50 chance at winning, certain lucky lotto players have famously won a huge lotto jackpot or have won under lucky circumstances. Lotto or lottery is popular not only in the US but all over the world, so let’s meet some of these lucky lotto/lottery gamblers, starting from the most recent.
Famous Lottery and Lotto Gamblers
- One sole ticket holder won the world’s largest individual jackpot prize in a lottery, US$365 million, in the lotto game of Powerball in the US on February 18, 2006.
- Three ticket holders—two from France, one from Portugal—won Europe’s larget jackpot prize in a lottery, 183 million Euros, at the lotto game of EuroMillions in Ireland on February 3, 2006.
- Senator Judd Gregg won US$850,000 in Powerball in the US on October 20, 2005.
- Dolores McNamara won Europe’s largest individual jackpot prize in a lottery, US$142.4 million or 77 million Pounds, in EuroMillions in Ireland on July 29, 2005.
- Iris Jeffrey won the UK’s largest individual jackpot prize in a lottery, US$35.7 million or 20.1 million Pounds, in the National Lottery of the United Kingdom on July 14, 2004.
- Two winning lottery tickets—one from Larry and Nancy Ross of Michigan, and the other from Joe and Sue Kainz of Illinois—won the largest jackpot prize in The Big Game, now known as Mega Millions, in the US, US$363 million, on May 9, 2000.
- Three ticket holders won the UK’s largest jackpot prize in a lottery, US$74.7 million or 42 million Pounds, in the National Lottery of the United Kingdom on January 6, 1996.